Sunday, November 07, 2004

Pho Hoa Restaurant

It's been over two months since my last bowl of Pho, and finally, last night, we struck out in search of Pho Hoa, a (the only?) Vietnamese soup bar in Cleveland.

OMG! I don't know if it's just been too long, or if this was particularly good, but I was in heaven. I got the soup with eye round steak, my baseline Pho, and the broth was perfect! I ordered a large and ate almost the whole thing. Dr. Jay had the Bun with grilled pork and fried egg roll. He loved his, too, and finished mine.

There was a time in my life in Austin when I ate this probably 2-3 times a week, at a number of places around town. In California, my heart was stolen by Ramen, a Japanese noodle soup, and No, it's NOTHING like what you get for $.35 at the grocery store. Sadly, I have been unable to locate a ramen house in Ohio any closer than Columbus.

In Cleveland Ethnic Eats (see post), Laura Taxel makes it sound like the Pho Hoa people have taken a HUGE risk in opening a noodle bar in Cleveland, and encourages everyone to go so it stays in business. We are going to have to do our part, of course, and I'm secretly hoping that if Pho Hoa does well enough, someone might take a chance and open a ramen house. Well, I can always hope.

Of course, Pho Hoa also serves Vietnamese coffee. As a bonus, they offer those perfect $3 sandwiches on French bread, which we'll have to go back to try, as well as bubble tea.

Now, how can a place like that, the only place like that in town, fail? I mean, if Cleveland can't support even a single soup bar, I might have to take back some of the nice things I've said about it...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two Pho restaurants on Superior--one confidently called No. 1 Pho, and the other just down the block near the bubble tea/auto parts (no lie!) place.

Been to Nate's yet for middle-eastern?

-Jeff Hagan

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 3:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are several good Vietnamese restaurants around town. One of the best is not recognizable as such from the street as it is called Chinese Village, but the menu is half Chinese and half Vietnamese. Skip the Chinese part as the Vietnamese food is fantastic. It is on Madison Avenue in Lakewood.

Friday, January 07, 2005 2:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home