Saturday, April 09, 2005

The Beachland Ballroomhttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

Waaaaaay back in January, we went to The Beachland Ballroom to see The Sadies ("not your average surf, garage, country, rock band"). Oh. I guess we actually went to see Neko Case, who was very good, but we were totally taken with the Sadies. They opened and also backed Neko Case up, so there was a lot of Sadies, and it was great.

Some of their lyrics, well, they're creepy. But in a kind of American Traditional Bluegrass "I took her into the woods and killed her" kind of a way. I might say the cumulative effect, at least on the album we bought (yes! we actually bought an album! That's how much we liked the Sadies!) is sort of mysogynistic, but Sadie is one of the people who dies, so and they seem to identify with her, so...wait this is supposed to be about the Beachland Ballroom. Oh, but one more thing about this. We found a site about murder ballads which is pretty funny the way it has the synopsis of the key points of each song at the beginning.

ANYWAY, the Beachland Ballroom. It was nice, reminded me of places in Austin. Smokey, but what are you going to do? Seemed to be a refurbished fraternal society's building. And not very refurbished, as it still has painted scenes from (I assume) a European country on the walls. To be honest, I can't remember, I think it was an Eastern European country. And I guess there are two venues at the Ballroom, and I guess we were in the less intimate one. Of course, the show didn't start till after our bedtime, which made it very hard to stand up and stay awake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home