Sunday, July 03, 2005

Johnny Mango

Last night we wanted to try something new, so I got out my list of places I want to try, and Dr. Jay chose Johnny Mango's. So we went to the one in Willoughby (pronounced willuhbee? I thought it would be willowbee, but was laughed at by my husband).

Johnny Mango's is in a little downtown that had some artsy shops and a number of restaurants. Who knew that was there?

Anyway, JM's is a pretty cool little place, decorated in kind of a "the Islands" way. They have a bean, a veggie, and a grain each day. I don't know how often it rotates. Dr. Jay ordered the Bangkok BBQ Chicken (with white meat; they said that cost extra, but that the leg and thigh would take 30 minutes to cook and we were starving, since it was almost 9 pm). It was sort of sweet and teriaki-y and maybe slightly fruity. He also go the veggie of the day, which was chard (which I love) in a sweet and sesame-e sauce. The grain of the day appeared to be white rice, and the chicken, greens, and rice together were like candy. There were also some borracho-type beans that were a little bland, but easily ignored for the other stuff.

I got a special for the day, fish tacos with mahi. They were good, and had a little kick to them, and lots of cilantro. (And crispy taco shells, which, when was the last time I had a crispy taco?) I, too, had the boring borracho beans, but, again, I ignored them an concentrated on eating the tacos and all the stuff that fell out of the tacos with the white rice. Then there was some kind of non-creamy and totally delicious slaw. I'm afraid that's all I can say, other than I kept seeing some kind of gourd seed in it and it was tangy. Mine also came with a grilled banana with lime. I accidentally tried to put the lime on my tacos instead of on the banana. The banana was good, but mostly a novelty, and not quite the same as a plantain.

Next time, we want to try the bread and slather of the day. When we were there, the bread was "backpacker" and the slather was like orange-mango-ginger or something. What would that be like? Backpacker? I'm game.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christine Borne said...

you should try the one in ohio city. have you been in ohio city much yet?

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home