Thursday, April 14, 2005

An example of what we have but don't appreciate?

Cleveland seems to have a sort of inferiority complex and acts like it has nothing going for it. To me, this seems like a shame, because I think Cleveland has a huge amount going for it. I think Cleveland just needs an attitude adjustment and maybe needs to look at what it has that you can't get in other places.

There is an old Victorian house in Medina that is being sold for $1 to a man who is going to spend $100K to move it to California. This is still a bargain for him, because 2-bedroom bungalows in, say, Oakland, go for a half million easy. Obviously, an offer of a Victorian house for $1 if you can move it away is not a normal thing here in Northeast Ohio, but still. My point is that we have cool old houses here that people in other parts of the country would go nuts for. And they don't cost anywhere near half a million.

Here's an article from the Plain Dealer about it:
California or bust (feelin' blue)

7 Comments:

Blogger Christine Borne said...

I find it sad and unsurprisingly telling that the PD treated this like a joke. It could've been an excellent conversation starter, as in, "why *is* real estate so much less expensive in a place that clearly *does* have a lot to offer?"

Actually, there's a significant part of me that doesn't want people "from away" to find out about Cleveland, because then real estate prices *will* go up and people who've lived there their entire life will get priced out. Which is pretty much what happened on the Jersey Shore.

Thursday, April 14, 2005 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger Christine Borne said...

Mrs. Aitch, where are you? You'd better post some more soon, or I'll be under the impression you've gotten sick of Cleveland and headed coastward.... :)

Monday, April 25, 2005 6:02:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Aitch said...

Ah! I DID go coastward, if the Gulf Coast counts. I went to Austin for the fist time since I left it almost 3 years ago. It was an amazing trip that gave me a new perspective on lots of things, including Austin and Cleveland.

It also gave me a chance to eat several times my body weight in Tex-Mex and barbecue.

I really love it there, but I'm glad to be home.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's worth noting that this happens elsewhere -- I remember a period when Baltimore was selling row houses for a dollar, and I have this vague and depressing memory of something similar happening to a wonderful old house out in California (that was getting knocked down to put up a McMansion), where they couldn't find a buyer.

(And yeah -- the tragedy of beautiful housing stock going "poof" aside, I just moved to the East Side in March from Washington, DC, and the lower price of the housing was a definite plus.)

Sunday, May 01, 2005 9:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://vbkuhbsj.com/giqe/harg.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ktykxagg.com/dqir/rgzz.html]Cool site[/url]

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://vbkuhbsj.com/giqe/harg.html | http://bgjooska.com/mdlj/lxhu.html

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home